The day before Chanukah, ADI Jerusalem Chef Shai Medlassi was not about to let diet restrictions interfere with the Chanukah happiness of ADI residents, so he came up with a special recipe substitute in place of standard fried sufganiyot (traditional donuts eaten on Chanukah).
Anyone not able to eat fried foods, is welcome to use Shai’s special donut recipe and enjoy their own delicious, home-made, baked donuts.
3 cups (420 grams) flour ♦ 1 tablespoon dry yeast ♦ 100 grams melted butter ♦ 1 cup milk ♦ 4 large eggs ♦ 100 grams sugar ♦ ½ teaspoon table salt
- Mix the flour and yeast in the mixer
- Mix together melted butter and milk until smooth
- Slowly add cooled milk mixture, eggs, sugar and salt to flour mixture, mixing for 1 minute
- Increase mixer speed to medium and continue mixing for 2-5 minutes until mixture is liquid-like, smooth and shiny
- Cover with a towel and let rise for 40 minutes.
- Mix again to release air.
- Grease a cupcake pan and fill each space halfway with dough.
- Spray with oil and let rise until amount doubles in size.
- Bake in a pre-heated 190 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until light brown and soft to touch.
- Cool and release from pan.
- Fill with jelly or top with your favorite topping.